Yu Darvish struck out 14 more batters last night, and is up to 105 through 11 starts. I hope he stays healthy all season to make a run at 300.
First pitch: The Braves and Blue Jays get started at the weird Canadian time of 12:37 p.m; that's one of two afternoon games on the schedule.
Interleague DH issues: The Orioles, Indians, Yankees, Twins and Angels lose their designated hitters in NL parks today. The O's played Steve Pearce in left field against lefty Gio Gonzalez on Monday, but figure to get Nate McLouth back in there tonight.
Streaming starters: Jose Quintana actually met our Fantasy Quality Start criteria (any two of 4.00 ERA/1.30 WHIP/4 K/Win) last night, so we're up to 36-18 for the season. Today's pick is Houston's Jordan Lyles (owned in 0.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Rockies, while Wednesday's selection is Rangers' righty Justin Grimm (4.7 percent owned) versus the Diamondbacks.
On to the news:
- With closer Chris Perez (shoulder) on the DL, Vinnie Pestano (2.3 percent owned) will take over closing duties for the Indians. Pestano has been struggling since coming off the DL less than two weeks ago, but even a risky closer is worth a speculative add as long as the investment isn't too great. Joe Smith and/or Cody Allen figure to be next in line if Pestano implodes soon.
- The Padres will activate Yasmani Grandal today, now that the catcher's 50-game PED suspension is over. The team's website says that it's "unclear how the Padres will use Grandal," he figures to start as the short side of a platoon with Nick Hundley, and gradually grab more playing time due to his strong bat. I would strongly consider picking up Grandal in a two-catcher league.
- The Mariners have made a change at second base, demoting Dustin Ackley and promoting prospect Nick Franklin. The 22-year-old Franklin was batting .324 at Triple A with four homers, seven stolen bases and a .912 OPS. He can hit, and should be considered in AL-only or deep mixed formats.
- Brewers OF Ryan Braun missed Monday's game with a sore right thumb, and his chances of returning tonight are up in the air.
- After once again proving the old adage that you can't steal first base, Dodgers SS Dee Gordon has been sent back to the minors. The Dodgers will use Nick Punto and Luis Cruz at short until Hanley Ramirez returns, which could happen as soon as next week.
- In other Dodger news, Josh Beckett - who is already on the DL with a groin injury - will have an MRI today to determine the cause of numbness in his fingers. Beckett isn't worth waiting for in standard mixed leagues.
- OF Bryce Harper (knee) and Danny Espinosa (wrist) both hope to return to the Nationals' lineup on Wednesday, but Harper's best chance of doing so will be as a DH.
- Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie is day-to-day with an ankle injury.
- The Yankees could get 1B Mark Teixeira and 1B/3B Kevin Youkilis back as soon as this weekend, which begs a question I never thought I'd ask: What are they going to do with Lyle Overbay? Also, can they quickly teach David Adams to play shortstop? Three days of ground balls should be plenty for Adams to be an overall improvement in Jayson Nix, right?
- Missed this one yesterday: Royals C Salvador Perez could miss another few days while on bereavement leave.
- The Astros have sent OF Robbie Grossman to Triple A. The team's website reports than Brandon Barnes might get more playing time as a result of that move.
- My man Jason Hammel might be coming around. That's two good starts in a row.
See you back here tomorrow morning.